bikeUMD is the name of the bicycle program at the University of Maryland. bikeUMD was made possible by the generous support of the UMD students and funding recouped by lower than expected fuel costs for the Shuttle-UM system.
Questions or comments? Email our bike coordinator, Michael Levengood, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report a crash (on campus): http://www.transportation.umd.edu/accident_report.php
To request a bike rack (on campus): http://www.transportation.umd.edu/bike_rack.php
To relinquish a bike: http://www.transportation.umd.edu/images/Green/PDFs/BikeRelinqueshmentForm.pdf
FAN us on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/BikeUMD/113115015368119
To join the bikeUMD listserv, send an email to email@example.com.
Improvements made possible through this program in 2009-2010 school year:
- Streamlined the abandoned bicycle process
- Created a plan for new bicycle racks and streamlined the rack request process (link to request form is at the top of the page)
- Gotten scooters off the bicycle racks
- Gotten bicycling included in the Facilities Master Plan as part of the Landscape Master Plan Update
- Increased the amount of covered bicycle parking by installing bicycle racks in every parking garage (except Regents)
- Created a blog and facebook page to help increase the communication between bicycle commuters on campus
- Developed a bicycle safety campaign (April 5 – 9, 2010) to make our roads more safe for cyclists
- Created a map that shows major rack locations, shower locations, the location of the bike shop and other resources for bikers (bike map)
- Moved the Campus Bike shop to a more accessible location
- Collaborated with local bicycle shops to promote bicycling at fairs